CHATEAU DES VALLONS
Mentioned for the first time in 1259, the château des Vallons is at this period the possession of several nobles, amongst them the Caumont and de Pis families. In the hands of the Albret family after 1390, the primitive castle on a motte of feudal land is in a state of ruin by the end of the Hundred Years War, after which the land of Verteuil is given in 1460 to Aymeric of Caumont, lord of Lauzun.
The medieval remains comprise a rocky escarpment of stone, dressed and in places built up, forming a first walled fortification of around 80 metres in diameter against which lean the village houses on the north side. In the centre there is a curtain wall linking with the heptagonal and vaulted north-west tower, probably dating from the 15th century.